So a second time they called the man who had been blind, and said to him, “Give glory to God; we know that this man is a sinner.” He then answered, “Whether He is a sinner, I do not know; one thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see.”  John 9:24-25

I spent the plurality of my professional career practicing law in Massachusetts and Texas.  Being a lawyer is a great gig.  You have an opportunity to help people when they are most vulnerable.  You can learn a lot too.  Making convincing arguments is the everyday stuff of legal representation.

Last week I was visiting one of our ministry partners in Galway, Ireland.  They were doing a religious education retreat for a group of local high school students.  I didn’t want to go in the room for fear of disrupting the meeting so I loitered outside the meeting room in a hallway and listened to the presenter, an Irishman named Mike, explain the gospel message through story.

He told an allegorical tale about a Christ-figure named Joshua who agreed to take the punishment being dished out for his friend, Edmund, by a vicious drug dealer.  The story was designed to be perfectly accessible to the local youth.  It didn’t require any historical context or explanation of terminology.  Oh my goodness, he was good at it.

We all have opportunities to share the gospel in all different ways.  Consider the people at your work, in your classroom, or in your own home.  How much could they benefit from knowing more of the truth of God?

Our problem is often one of self editing.  It can be intimidating to share that kind of truth.  We don’t know how it is going to be received.  What if I try to pray over my lunch and someone interrupts to ask what I am doing?  What if I leave my Bible on my credenza and my boss tells me to keep that out of the workplace?

God has admonished His people to tell the story of His redemption and love for millennia.  We inherited that obligation from all the people of faith who came before us.  We aren’t all practiced barristers, or gifted storytellers like Mike, but eloquence and creativity are not preconditions.

We are required to share our own experience.  We are the experts on that.  No one knows how Christ redeemed you and blessed you better than you.  Just like the fellow in our text for today, we aren’t required to speculate on theological issues beyond our experience.  If all we know is that once we were blind and now we can see, that is the story we tell.   We are called to be God’s witnesses, not his lawyer.