Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.  John 16:25-27

One thing we all have in common is that we would all rather think well of ourselves most of the time.  What is different about us is the reasons we set within ourselves for why that assessment is accurate.  I have known lawyers who based it upon the cases they had won.  I’ve known bankers who based it upon the deals they had closed.  I have known students who based it upon the friends they made and others who based it upon the grades they made.

Unfortunately, sometimes that evidence for our worth runs thin.  In our current environment, some of that evidence has dried up completely.  Court cases are being postponed due to Coronavirus fears in the courtroom.  Deals are being cancelled as the economy shrinks in response to business closures.  Students have been separated from their friends in quarantine, and many found they weren’t nearly as successful in the online education world that was thrust upon them.

Our time has revealed a simple truth that we so often miss in more “normal” times.  Only God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  Only His truth stands.  The controlling worldview is His worldview.  That is true for the justice system, the banking industry, and education at all levels.

It is also true for me.  I am not who I think I am.  Whatever I may have succeeded or failed at; whatever I may have earned or lost; I am who God says I am.  Neither more nor less.

As true for me it is true for you.  Know who you are my brothers and sisters.  All of us in Christ are beloved of the Father. Write that in ink at the bottom of the picture you have painted of yourself.  Then, even when the picture becomes scribbled over or erased, you can rest secured in that truth.  Know that you are Beloved of God, and fear no darkness.

Navigation