He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.  Revelation 21:4

As a father of three, I witnessed my wife bringing each of our children into the world and was always incredulous at the effort and discomfort involved.  They don’t call it “labor” for nothing.  My wife assured me that the pain was of a whole different kind than anything I had ever experienced and I believed her.  I knew, also, that when the Bible wants to describe a particular pain as really horrible, it refers to it as “pain as in childbirth”.

My wife’s situation was harsh but hardly unique.  Women all over the world can identify.  But children aren’t the only things we bring forth with pain.  New countries often require considerable “labor” to bring them into being.  New business ventures, new careers, even new marriages generally require substantial work to be launched.

It was not intended to be so.  From the creation, man was supposed to work alongside God stewarding His world.  But ever since Genesis 3, creating with pain became part of the curse.

God does not create this way.  When He brings something into being He does so with power, not with pain.  In Genesis 1, God brought forth the whole universe by merely speaking it into existence.  When God created the nation of Israel, He struck down the Egyptian gods, parted the Red Sea, and led the Hebrews forth with fire.  When God formed His church in Jerusalem, He created it by releasing the power of His Spirit on the handful of Christ followers.

Our text for today speaks of a new development in the story.  A day is coming when we will work as God does, hand in hand with Him, as we were intended to.  In that day the Lord will bring forth a new heaven and a new earth and there will be no more pain.  We will join Him in His work and serve Him with power, not with pain.

Come quickly Lord Jesus.

Navigation