Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children’s children.  Deuteronomy 4:9

For reasons known only to God, it has been a season of loss in my life.  Some brothers and sisters whom I have known for years, and some only met recently, have gone on to be with the Lord this week.  The keenest part of the loss was that these were some of my heroes.

None of them leaped tall buildings or rid the city of crime.  None of them were ever part of the armed services, as far as I know.  Their heroism happened on a front where it is least celebrated but most desperately needed.  These heroes were parents.

Scripture reveals that since the days of Moses, parents have held the key to the future of society.  Those who raise their children in the Lord put the future of the world in strong, godly hands.  Those who fail in that fail all of us.  My dearly departed heroes succeeded.  I see it in the stories of their passing.  I see it in the spouses they left behind.  Most of all, I see it in their children.

I am a father and a grandfather but I would never say I was particularly good at either.  (Mercifully I have a spouse whose excellence more than covered my deficiency.)  But at this passing of my brothers and sisters, I speak as one who admires those who have succeeded where I never could.  In a world where parenting is harder than it may ever have been, and subject to new levels of underinvestment, may the Lord grant us grace to succeed in that calling.

For those of us still on this side of the veil with children, including children not our own, let’s take up the mantle of the most important job in history.  We are trying to make human beings.  Please, please, for the sake of us all, let us make good ones.  Let us pour all that the Lord has shown us into them as the Lord requires of us.  Perhaps we too can be heroes.

Navigation