To the angel of the church in Sardis write:  These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God.  Revelation 3:1-2

Years ago I was on a recruiting committee that voted on which job interns to forward for consideration and which to send a “thank you for your interest” letter.  There was a young candidate who impressed everyone on the committee, except me.  He was confident, smart, and articulate but there was a problem.  When the committee questioned my sole negative vote, I explained that he and I had worked on a project together during his internship, and while he was definitely talented, he refused all the advice and help I had tried to offer.  The result was a young man who was as smart as he was ever going to be.  Even at that young age, he had already stopped growing.

We have all seen workmates who have reached a plateau in their careers.  They aren’t incompetent at what they do but they aren’t getting any better.  They have stopped learning and growing.  They have stopped trying.  And when that happens, their careers begin to die.

The working world is a dynamic environment, always changing.  You can only live on past experience for so long.  As the world continues to grow and change, you remain stuck in the past, never adapting, and eventually you become useless except as a repository of old data that fewer and fewer people care about as time goes on.

Sadly, this same effect can occur in us spiritually.  Christianity is a dynamic faith and our God is always on the move.  His intent is for us to be constantly growing, changing and becoming more like Him through the sweet, and sometimes painful, process of sanctification.  When we stop before that work is finished, we die.  Are you alive?

Be consistently asking yourself some questions.  Where do I need forgiveness, next?  What sin do I need to forsake, next?  What is the next work of God that I have so far failed to take on?  Never allow yourself to rest on a plateau.  Careers that hit a plateau can be sad.  For Christians, it can be deadly.

Navigation