And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  Ephesians 3:17b-19.

Many of us, who have reached a certain age, carry some level of regret.  We can look back on our lives and remember things we wish we had done differently.  We can remember angry words we spoke to someone we care about, or fearfully walking away from obvious invitations to help, or even striking out at someone for selfish reasons.  It hurts to think about them.  I try not to.

Of course, Christ has an answer to our guilt.  One of the things that drew many of us to Jesus was His message of forgiveness.  We heard that He loves us enough to forgive all our sins.  And the idea of not having to carry around all our guilt can be almost intoxicating.  No wonder we accepted Him and committed our lives to Him.

But somehow it is still there.  Sometimes it can show up in things, activities, or even people missing from our lives because of past mistakes.

And for some of us, we wonder if there really is enough forgiveness, enough love, enough grace in Christ to make us free and whole.  The sins of our past can loom larger and larger as we consider them.  We believe that Christ is Lord and Savior, but we wonder if our spiritual baptism might be a few drops short?

When my daughters were small they sometimes played in a sandbox near our house.  One summer, however, my wife and I took them on vacation to Florida.  We put them in their swimsuits, handed them their sandbox gear, and fastened them in the car for a drive to the beach.  My youngest asked, “But where is the sandbox, daddy?”  I told her, “Oh honey, don’t worry, daddy has a sandbox for you.”  Her next stop was a white sandy shorefront that stretched as far as the eye could see in either direction.

In our text for today, the Apostle Paul hints at these same comparisons of proportionality.  If what we need is a few drops of grace, Christ’s love is an ocean.  If what we need is a few extra moments of mercy, Christ’s love is an eon.  If what we need is a few crumbs of forgiveness, Christ’s love is a bakery filled with the sweetest of delicacies.

Don’t let the enemy rob you of the glory of our forgiveness, my friends.  It is enormous beyond the comprehension of man.

Navigation