Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”  Matthew 19:13-14

This week I went to an Evensong service in a cathedral.  It was the kind of place with a robed boys’ choir, giant stone columns and a cavernous roof.  A young couple came to sit next to me and parked their pram, with the happiest little baby boy in it, right next to me.

As the service commenced, the baby began to get loud, perhaps inspired by the choir.  His wordless, happy little sounds echoed through the building.  Some of the people worshiping turned around to look disapprovingly and I had to laugh inwardly.

I remember when I was a pastor, I used to appreciate the sounds of babies and toddlers in the church.  It meant our church was alive.  It meant that families were dedicated to passing on the faith.  And the noises those children were making may have been just as divinely inspired as what I was trying to preach.  Perhaps God was even trying to interrupt me.

God often speaks to us through the interruptions.  We prefer our lives planned, knowable, and controlled.  That life has no risks.  It is comfortable.  But that is not the life God has for us.  He wants us to live a life of dependence on Him.  He wants to call us to adventure in the unknown.  He wants us to sacrifice ourselves for His glory and the redemption of the world.

All three of those desires of God require Him to move us out of our well-controlled, comfortable lives.  Sometimes, he has to interrupt us.  Sometimes the greater good and glory are not to be found in our plans.  He may even come off like a baby calling out in the middle of a high church choir.  Listen to that call.

The young mother eventually gave in to the looks of her neighbors.  She slipped out of our pew and silently wheeled the little boy out of the service.  May it never be so with us, my friends.  May the Lord insist on interrupting us from our petty plans and pray that He has the patience to persist in that interruption until we turn our full attention to Him in joy and thankfulness.

Navigation