But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” And God said, “I will be with you.”   Exodus 3:11-12a

Our devotional this week is brought by Mr. Reagan Witten, a student at UMHB’s McLane College of Business.

For many of us, uncertainty over our future careers is a prevailing condition.  Unfortunately, it also tends to be stressful. Should I take that transfer opportunity I was offered? Is it time to polish my resume and test the market?  Should I take a chance and start my own business? Whatever I do, will I regret my decision?

One of God’s greatest Old Testament servants faced this same uncertainty.  Moses’ early years were defined by his Egyptian upbringing and being groomed for leadership.  But after murdering an Egyptian in defense of an Israelite (see Exodus 2), Moses had to flee to the desert and wound up tending sheep for his new father-in-law. There, under the desert sun, Moses may well have wondered whether standing up for the defenseless was the right career move.

God’s next opportunity for Moses would be presented in the burning bush experience (partly recorded in our text for today), producing a whole new round of uncertainty. Moses was being offered a promotion by God. But, like any such offer, the proposition of being given greater responsibility can bring feelings of inadequacy and fear of failure. Moses, however, overcomes his fear with an act of faith.  The Lord doesn’t immediately reveal to him the details of His planned deliverance of the Israelites but Moses proceeds with the task, regardless of the uncertainty.

Though God might not appear to you in flame-engulfed shrubbery, He can still offer us opportunities in mysterious ways, if we are willing to listen. The stress we can feel when we face an uncertain future may bring anxiety with it. But God makes us promises, just as He did Moses.

Take a lesson from Moses. Trust the Lord and His faithfulness when thinking about how your future will look. He will be with you.  Ask the Lord for His wisdom and trust in His plan for you. You may even have your own, personal Exodus, and might even lead some of God’s people along the way.

Navigation