I spent much of December working on the layout for Windhover (volume 17), and I’m happy to report that the proof will be sent to the printer today.  Here’s a picture of the cover, featuring work by artist Micah Bloom:

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

While working as an editor on a literary journal, I enjoy many aspects, but what I enjoy most is the actual process of creating the issue.  For my first task, I gathered hard copies of all the pieces and spent a good hour arranging an order for the journal.  I used the two large tables in the faculty lounge, shuffling pieces around, searching for threads between pieces.  I’m a believer in creating an order for a journal so that if a reader does read the journal from cover to cover, he or she will notice connections and motifs, sometimes overt and sometimes more subtle.

Having completed that process, I worked in the quiet of my office (the students already off for the semester) for several days laying out the pieces we’d accepted months earlier, watching the issue take shape.  At first, using new software (to me) was a little sticky, but I shortly acquired competency.

Even the proofreading was enjoyable for me.  For the first time, I’m reading the journal as a whole, seeing it for the first time, cleaning and polishing as needed.

And now we’re in the waiting period for the next few weeks while the issue is printed.  I had very few challenges in the process of putting together this issue.  Whew!

When the new issue is printed, I’ll let you know!

Grace and Peace,

Nathaniel L. Hansen, Editor