Dear fans of The Windhover and The Windhover Writers’ Festival:
Here are some quick updates as we enter this third week of Advent.
* We’ve nearly completed our redesign of the journal, including a shortened name: The Windhover. Our editorial focus remains the same as before. We’ll speak more to this change in the coming weeks and months.
* We’re currently working on enabling online ordering (and payment) for individual copies and subscriptions. We’ll let you know via Facebook and Twitter when that is live.
* The next issue, 21.1, will mark the beginning of our 2 issues/year publishing schedule, with one issue released in February (as has been the custom) and a second issue released in August.
* As a result of our new publication schedule, our reading period is being modified. We will have two reading periods: February 1-April 15 (for the August issue) & August 1-October 15 (for the February issue).
* We will again be at AWP in Washington, D.C., February 7-10.
* We will also be exhibiting at the Catholic Imagination Conference, April 27-29, at Fordham University in New York City.
The Windhover Writers’ Festival, Feb. 15-17, 2017:
* In mid-November we unfortunately had to announce that Brian Doyle, our scheduled keynote, had to cancel due to health issues. Doyle has shared his story publicly in several Pacific Northwest papers, and a fundraising campaign has been set up to help with medical expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/betenderandlaugh
* You can read a story about Brian Doyle discussing his health here: http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2016/11/brian_doyle_brain_tumor.html
* A working schedule is now live for the festival, available on the website.
* Festival registration opened on November 18, and will remain open through Friday, January 20.
* We have reserved a block of rooms at the Temple Hampton Inn & Suites. Rooms with 2 queen beds are $86/night, which also includes a full hot breakfast.
We hope you have a great remainder of 2016! See you in 2017!
Nathaniel L. Hansen
Editor, The Windhover